Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 1997 22:50:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Joey Garcia <jbgarcia@inreach.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CDRom still not Detected/Supported at Install (HELP)

On Thu, 25 Sep 1997, Joey Garcia wrote:

> 	Okay, I tried to reinstall to see if I can clear up some of my CDRom
> toubles, but my Hitatchi cdrom is still not being detected or supported at
> install.  Acutally, I think it does detect that there is a cdrom there, in
> fact it even shows that it found it, but for some reason I get an error
> when I try to install.  Let me show you what error it is that I get:
>
> Error mounting /dev/wcd0c on /dist: Input/output error (5)

Hm, we've been getting this on machines recently.  I don't know exactly
waht causes it, unfortunately.

> 	Now let me show you what the bootup messages say about the cdrom:
>
> Sep 18 01:12:03 mustang /kernel: wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 on isa
> Sep 18 01:12:03 mustang /kernel: wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <IBM-DJAA-31700>
> Sep 18 01:12:03 mustang /kernel: wd0: 1628MB (3334464 sectors), 3308 cyls,
> 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
> Sep 18 01:12:03 mustang /kernel: wdc0: unit 1 (atapi): <HITACHI
> CDR-7730/0008c>, removable, iordy
> Sep 18 01:12:03 mustang /kernel: wcd0: 689Kb/sec, 128Kb cache, audio play,
> 128 volume levels, ejectable tray
> Sep 18 01:12:03 mustang /kernel: wcd0: medium type unknown, unlocked

That is OK.

> Sep 18 01:12:03 mustang /kernel: wdc1 not found at 0x170

That's OK too, if the second IDE channel isn't currently enabled.

> 	I guess that means that it was dectected, now i'm confused about where
> FreeBSD tried to look for it when it installs, and why I keep getting that
> /dev/wcd0c mounting error.  I would really like to install this via CDRom,
> but I don't wanna go out and buy a new cdrom specifically for FreeBSD.  I
> believe my cdrom should work.  FreeBSD says that it supports atapi cdroms,
> and I believe that is what I have.

But, we find that ATAPI CDs don't follow standards.  The manufacturers
expect you to use their hardware only under DOS/Windoze where they can use
their driver only.  It's really unfortunate since these are cheap drives,
but that's the way it is.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo