Date:      Tue, 02 Feb 1999 15:05:33 -0500
From:      rdewalt@meridianksi.com (Ryan Dewalt)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ESS 1869 Audiodrive

Okay..  dead question.  I've since figured out what I was doing wrong.
Sound card works fine. everything works properly for me (with the exception
of MIDI, which for me, isn't a big loss) AND, I can't get the CD to play
music CD's..

Any help on that matter?

Solution to getting my ESS ES1869 installed:
-----
Add all the sound config lines from lint into my kernel config.
rebuild kernel and reboot.
check dmesg for detected devices.
remove the ones that weren't detected from the kernel config for next rebuild.
cd /dev ; sh MAKEDEV snd0
.
.
.
some testing, some tweaking of /dev locations, but it works normally now,
with the afforementioned CD Audio problem.
(cdplay just sits there, xcd, xcdplay, all give errors.) it's an IDE
cd-rom, as far as I can tell. (laptop, as listed below)

Any suggestions?

At 04:50 PM 2/1/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Has anyone had any luck configuring the ESS ES1869 Audio Drive sound card?
>I haven't been lucky to date in getting even a beep.  It's the last bit on
>my laptop (CTX 700EZ) that I cannot get functioning.
>
>Any pointers to info, or info itself (i.e. which bits to compile into the
>kernel, how to De-pnp the thing) would be very much appreciated.
>
>-Ryan

---------
rdewalt@meridianksi.com
Technical Director - FAI Online University
Internet Technology Engineer
Meridian Knowledge Solutions Inc.
----Quotes of the Unspecified Time Segment----
-I make it a point in my life to keep a circle of good friends, that when
  viewed as a contrast, make me look like the most normal guy alive.
		-Self
---
"Why is this Black Box screwdriver White?" - Protius