Date:      Sun, 25 May 1997 23:59:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <perlsta@fang.cs.sunyit.edu>
To:        "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Experience with Network Computers ?

> I've been wondering about those NCs that everyone is talking about. It
> is said they don't come with an OS, and that you need a server. Could
> this server be a FreeBSD box? How do they load the OS, bootp or an
> unstandard service?

They come with a lot of rom, or a small disk that is responcible for
starting things up possibly they will down load the OS after initializing
the NIC or it will all be in ROM.  I don't trust NCs unless they are used
by untrained computer users as the limitations imposed on them to  regular
users is too much, on the other hand they would keep inexperianced people
from fubar'ing everything.

Alfred Perlstein
perlsta@cs.sunyit.edu