Date:      Tue, 08 Jul 1997 04:01:22 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        akensaj@cs.purdue.edu
Cc:        bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Video Card

>Speedstar 64 ISA video card in it.  During the install process (for the
>walnut creek CD - using either the install program or the boot floppy)
>just after it says "booting kernel" the screen scrambles (the text is
>very distorted).  When I tried installing with a different (VGA) video
>card in it worked fine.  Is there any way to install FreeBSD with my
>current video card?  My computer "specs" are below - if they are useful.
>        Intel Pentium 133 processor

   This sounds like the Pentium bcopy optimization is biting you. The
optimization now defaults to off in FreeBSD > 2.2.1, so if you could
either set the flags on device npx0 to "1" or install 2.2.2, the problem
should go away.
   BTW, "hardware" was the wrong list for this type of question.

-DG

David Greenman