Date:      Wed, 1 Apr 1998 12:27:25 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        Scott Smyth <sbsmyth@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Possibility of Porting BSD fs to Linux and vice-versa?  Possible?

On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, Scott Smyth wrote:

> I have been pondering the possibility of porting filesystems back and
> forth between BSD and Linux.  Could someone shed some light on whether
> porting a BSD-supported filesystem to Linux or vice-versa is
> fundamentally possible?  I think it is, but I wonder if there is
> something missing from my understanding.  What are the issues involved?
> Specifically, I have been looking at the Union FS, but more generally,
> what porting issues are involved.  Applications are easy from both
> directions...what about a fs?  By the way, I use both.

It's possible, but far more work than porting user applications where
there are standards that are exposed externally. It's kernel programming
so the internals differ significantly.

UnionFS doesn't stack well so it must consume a lot of internal kernel
interfaces.  Nullfs on the otherhand would be a lot easier.

Regards,

Mike