Date:      Tue, 7 Apr 1998 13:06:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Changing the kernel on a 2.2.6 Install/Boot Disk...

On Tue, 7 Apr 1998, Karl Pielorz wrote:

> How easy (if at all possible) is it to 'change' the kernel on a
> 2.2.6-RELEASE boot/install disk?

Not easy.  If you want to build a new install disk you have to build all
the tools on it.  A mechanism exists to do this (dubbed `make release' for
the command you run) but it does take time and resources to use.

> I wanted to make an install disk with a different kernel on it, but I gather
> because of the MFS / file system embedded in the kernel etc. - this could be
> quite tricky?
>
> I have a 'donor' machine - which I don't mind installing all the source on
> it and building it there - if that's what it takes...

Okay, then.  Install the full system source (I don't think you need xfree)
then look in /usr/src/release.  **READ THE MAKEFILE BEFORE YOU DO
ANYTHING**