Date:      Fri, 8 May 1998 12:04:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        jonh@demon.net (Jonathan Hathaway)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD FTP Installation

Just a guess!

Try from scratch again.

Jonathan Hathaway wrote:
> Please help!
>
> I downloaded the boot.flp and fdimage.exe and booted my computer which
> is a:
>
> AMD K5 Processor
> 32Mb RAM
> Opti M/Board
> Cirrus 1MB SVGA
> Maxtor 850MB HDD
> Mitsumi x4 CD-ROM
>
> I have an extended Partition of 100Mb and was going to use 750 Mb for
> FreeBSD.

OK

> I booted up, went through the Kernel config etc, setup up the FDISK type
> program to use FreeBSD and made it active and bootable i.e.' CA= 'etc.
> Auto configured the HDD Labels etc.

OK

> Selected full download including source games and Xfree86 etc Went
> through the other prompts until Select nearest FTP site. Used the TERM
> program to start a PPP serial connection to my ISP. Started the
> connection started downloading the various components. Right at the end
> it said it had finished downloading "/usr" configuration and it just sat
> there doing nothing.

I think this is where the problem started. Let the thing run until
you you're absolutely sure it's wedged.

Check the output on the bug window. (ALT+F2) It should show what's going
on.  Installing over a modem is going to be sloooooow.  The stuff in
/just/ /usr is going to be around 40MB or more, The whole distribution
will be many hundreds of megabytes.

100 MB =~ 1,000,000,000 bits/28,800 bps/60 sec/min /60 min/hour =
	9.64 hours.

This is why people buy the CDROM. If you can't afford the $40 from
walnut creek, try cheapbytes.

> Re-booted my machine from the HDD nothing it came up ' boot: ' etc and
> said it could not find the kernel?? Re-directed it to the kernel on the
> FDD and it went back to the startup screen. Tried rebooting and using '
> kernel.GENERIC ' and kept saying could not find various files.

Sounds a lot like you stopped halfway through.

> It seems as if FreeBSD is not installed?? Does it matter that the drive
> I wanted to use for FreeBSD was FAT32?? Do I have to format the HDD
> partition before I download FreeBSD???

No, installation should do this in the slice and partition editors.

If you continue with FTP/modem install, my strong advice is to select
"minimal installation", which will produce a pretty much full function
system that you can boot, and see if the hardware works, etc, etc.
Then you can easily add other stuff.

Dave
--
                <----.   mail-to: djv@bedford.net