Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2000 13:37:05 -0700 (MST)
From:      John Reynolds~ <jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com>
To:        freebsd-qa@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: feedback on CD install of 4.0-RC2

[ On Thursday, February 17, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote: ]

> That's a well-known fact and something which is decribed in XFree86's
> annoying pop-up window about mouse behavior.  You're just not reading
> again, son. :)

DOH!!!!!!!!! :/

I concede, Jordan. You're right. RTFM.

 http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.5/QuickStart3.html#5

However, as I thought about it over lunch, I could still argue the point that
under the custom install, maybe sysinstall should still give you a dialog box
stating that the mouse might not work. I'm coming at this from the point of
view of somebody "new" to Unix and X and wants to try FreeBSD. Maybe they
don't know about www.xfree86.org in order to go search FAQs, etc. They just
want the GUI that comes with FreeBSD "to work." If we *know* that by choosing
a custom install and not enabling moused that XF86Setup has a good chance of
not finding the mouse, then I claim it makes sense to present a dialog box
before launching the sucker that gives this information. Basically, what you
told me ... "RTFM ... you will need to use TAB, blah blah blah, then hit 'a'
to apply the changes, then your mouse will be recognized". Perhaps even
printing the above URL. If somebody had problems and still couldn't figure it
out, maybe they write down the URL and take it to a friend's computer or to
work and do a little RTFM'ing on their own.

Comments?

> Ah, it only does it as root.  For some reason the skeleton files still
> aren't being utilized properly and this is something I've still to
> investigate.  It has, at least, always been this way. :)

that would be it then ... I didn't fire up X as root, just "me". So, you are
saying that this is on the "todo" list? I know you've said sysinstall "needs
help" in other mail messages, but is there a specific place to go look in the
source? I don't promise miracles, but since I'm the one that brought it up,
I'd at least like to try and help fix it .... or, is this something just
better "suited for Jordan" (since you're "one" with the code)?

> I don't disagree on this, I just see a lot of variance in opinion
> concerning "what needs to be set."

indeed. I wouldn't have known it either ... when things yacked on me, I just
snarfed the setenv's from the mail archives and things have been happy since,
so I didn't question it ;-)

> As far as another release candidate is concerned, yes, most assuredly
> there will be at least one or two more.

Good deal. I will install them all. I think this ".0" release will be quite
good .....

-Jr