Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 2002 16:57:37 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Michael Sharp <ms@probsd.ws>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Berkley Packet Filter

--MZf7D3rAEoQgPanC

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 09:53:40AM -0500, Michael Sharp wrote:
> If I disable;  pseudo-device     bpf
>=20
> in the kernel, this will prevent my Ethernet Device from going into
> Promiscious mode, thus preventing a sniffer from running on my machine
> correct?   But wont it also kill ipfw functionality?

It will not really prevent your Ethernet device from going into promisc
mode; all it will do is, it will disable one of the ways userland
programs may snoop on (or sniff) packets going through any of your
system's network interfaces (not just Ethernet).  A Netgraph node or a
specially-crafted kernel module could still intercept packets, but yes,
disabling the Berkeley packet filter would indeed make it more difficult
for the average script kiddie out there.

And no, it will not affect ipfw functionality in any way.

G'luck,
Peter

--=20
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net	roam@FreeBSD.org
because I didn't think of a good beginning of it.

--MZf7D3rAEoQgPanC

--MZf7D3rAEoQgPanC--