Date:      Sun, 27 Jun 1999 03:05:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      spork <spork@super-g.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Tetsuya Watanabe <tetsuya1@prodigy.net>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ADSL question after I searched mail archives and still have  questions re DSL

On Thu, 24 Jun 1999, Wes Peters wrote:

> Tetsuya Watanabe wrote:

> FreeBSD doesn't know about the ADSL, it just sees a router.  Your "ADSL
> modem" is really an ethernet to ATM router, and should answer the DHCP
> request for you.  Doesn't it?

Probably not.  I understand most of the cable modems work that way, but
even the one I've seen still then acts as a DHCP *server* to the PC.  As
far as cheap-o ADSL services go, they usually give you a bridge (Westell,
Alcatel) which is a completely dumb piece of hardware that just bridges
every ethernet frame to the DSLAM and beyond.  If that's the case, then
you need to listen to whatever some dhcp server behind the ISP's router is
handing out (the router is likely set up as a DHCP helper).

That's at least how they do it here in Bell Atlantic land...  Another
thing to note is that somewhere along the line they may be filtering by
MAC address and they may have forgot to get that info from you.  Here you
cannot do a thing until they've stuck your MAC address in the switch that
aggregates all the customers together...

Good luck,

Charles