Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 1999 16:52:21 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Joao Assad <jfassad@domain.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: off-topic : optic fiber problem

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, Joao Assad wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> Im having some problems here trying to connect two  networks with an
> optic fiber cable...
> Its a very simple connection....  I have a 400ft optic cable with 1
> 100-BaseFX to 100-BaseTX
> trasceiver in each end. then I connect 1 computer in each transceiver
> and try to send some data...
> now, whats happening is that little packets go through just fine but
> when I try to send big
> packets (like 4kb) I have over 25% packet loss... I'have tryed to send a
> 10mb file through
> FTP and ended up with 6kb/sec.
>
> any idea about what might be causing that ?

Your duplex is set incorrectly.  Look at the documentation for your
converters and see if they support half duplex, full duplex, or both.
Once you've figured that out, lock the duplex and speed settings on
both ends of the link as appropriate.  Auto Negotiation doesn't work
across copper<->fiber converters, usually, unless the manufacturer has
done some hackery.  The documentation should tell you this.  I've used
some converters where autoneg worked properly, and others where I
couldn't get a link up at all until I locked down speed/duplex on both
ends.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures (SPARC under development).
   ( http://www.freebsd.org )

   "One should admire Windows users.  It takes a great deal of
    courage to trust Windows with your data."