Date:      Mon, 29 May 2000 15:47:17 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, obrien@FreeBSD.org, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/dev/aic7xxx Makefile

On Sun, 28 May 2000, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:

> Bruce Evans wrote:
> >
> > By "standalone" builds, I mean ones not run as part of makeworld.
> > buildkernel in /usr/src/Makefile.inc1 can't be part of makeworld until
> > makeworld builds all tools necessary to build kernels.  It currently
> > builds at least btxldr, config, elf2exe, genassym and gensetdefs, but
> > not aicasm.
>
> The buildkernel target builds aicasm itself. We have to specifically
> build /dev/aic7xxx as a tool (ie non-cross build) before we build the
> kernel, otherwise we wouldn't be able to cross-build kernels.
>
> Building aicasm as part of makeworld implies that it needs to be
> installed. Do we want that?

Not really.  It would be the easiest way to support cross-building kernels
as part of makeworld, but for building kernels from new system sources
there is no suitable place for installing it, since the new version may
not match the installed system.  The problems are essentially the same
as for config(8) but are mishandled in a different way.

Bruce