Date:      Tue, 06 Jun 2000 21:06:07 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grimreaper.grondar.za>
To:        "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, arch@FreeBSD.org, phk@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: (2nd iteration) New /dev/(random|null|zero) - review, please

> > I stole lots of ideas from you :-); I think mine is faster...
>
> There is no way to tell as I can't look at your sources but I'd be
> interested to find out. Why didn't you submit patches if you knew
> I had already done the work?

Erm - I had already written 90% of it; I had announced my intentions, and
_then_ you gave me a URL to your work (with no other explanation). I
posted the usual (and sorry - I didn't know you were not a committer :-) ).

Nag me and I'll send you a copy next time I roll it (tomorrow).

> > Makes sense, but I need an actual mechanism for achiving this. BDE
> > suggested the module event handler; I need to investigate.
>
> kobj and kqueue. Entropy devices should be kobjects. Kernel keeps a
> pool of those and the Yarrow module can pull the ones it uses. The
> Yarrow module would register with the pool to receive arrival events
> and DTRT. kobjects should have a type so that you can use the pool
> for different device types.

Cool! Looks good!

> Something tells me that such a thing is already done for USB and
> pccard but I don't know for sure.

I'll look...

> > Hmmm.... Sounds good! Got a Rijndael reference?
>
> http://www.esat.kuleuven.ac.be/~rijmen/rijndael/ . I have a 256-bit
> version (block and key). It's pretty easy to construct a 256-bit hash
> out of that, using a MD{45}-like padding scheme. This would give us
> Yarrow-256 as opposed to Yarrow-160 described in Bruce's paper.

Thanks! (We could of course use Blowfish256 - already in the kernel)

Mark Murray