Date:      Tue, 3 Oct 2000 18:04:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Christopher Rued <c.rued@xsb.com>
To:        xavian anderson macpherson <professional3d@home.com>
Cc:        BWS - Offwhite <brennan@offwhite.net>, "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>, Bob Martin <bob@buckhorn.net>, Christopher Rued <c.rued@xsb.com>, "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>, Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>, "fatboy@linuxbr.com.br" <fatboy@linuxbr.com.br>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>, James Preece <james.preece@uk.easynet.net>, John <papalia@udel.edu>, "keith@mail.telestream.com" <keith@mail.telestream.com>, Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>, Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>, Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, Oscar Ricardo Silva <oscars@mail.utexas.edu>, "Person, Roderick" <personrp@ccbh.com>, Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
Subject:   is there a /boot directory in freebsd as there is in linux?

xavian anderson macpherson writes:
 > there is no mention of a /boot directory in the complete freebsd.  i
 > looked on page 230 and in the index.  i have also looked on the web.  no
 > mention of /boot.  i was told that i cannot start my root `/' directory
 > from a vinum drive.  because the kernel has to be loaded for the vinum
 > drives to be accessed.  this should not be a problem if there was a
 > separate /boot directory which can be mounted on it's own partition; as
 > it is currently on my system.
 >
 > /dev/hda1 /boot
 > /dev/hdd1 /
 >
 > i have not yet had anyone answer me as to whether or not there is a
 > /boot directory in FreeBSD.  if there is not; where is the operational
 > kernel located (the one that runs the system)?  what is the name of that
 > directory (if there is one)?  is the kernel just `out in the open' as i
 > have seen with the (default) Makefile for compiling the linux kernel?  i
 > saw something about BootEasy being kept in the MBR; but i don't think
 > the MBR is a valid directory.  in linux i have a separate partition for
 > my /boot directory.  i have to, or i wouldn't be able to start my
 > computer!  my `/' directory is out of range for that 1024 cylinder
 > limit.  in fact, it's (my current operational kernel) on my 4th drive (i
 > have another [3 linux-mandrake kernels] on the third drive; which i can
 > `chroot /mnt' to)  i am quite sure that FreeBSD is subject to the same
 > limitations as every other system that runs on x86 architecture; namely
 > that all of the boot mechanisms must be below the 1024 cylinder limit
 > set by intel chips.

FreeBSD does have a /boot directory, but from what you have described
it does not serve the same function as the Linux /boot directory.  The
FreeBSD kernel lives in the root directory (/).  Some configuration
files live in /boot on FreeBSD.  So, for booting purposes it seems
that FreeBSD's / is roughly equivalent to Linux's /boot.

--
Christopher Rued