Date:      Fri, 6 Oct 2000 10:40:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Marius M. Rex" <marius@malkav.snowmoon.com>
To:        James Housley <jim@thehousleys.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD ignoring /etc/rc.conf

Very interesting.  According the the script rc.out my /etc/rc.conf file is
sourced.  Once in the very begining.

script rc.out sh -x rc:

>Script started on Fri Oct  6 10:25:42 2000
>+ stty status ^T
>+ trap : 2
>+ trap : 3
>+ HOME=/
>+ PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/sbin
>+ export HOME PATH
>+ [ -r /etc/rc.diskless1 ]
>+ /sbin/sysctl -n vfs.nfs.diskless_valid
>+ dlv=
>+ [ 0 != 0 ]
>+ [ -r /etc/defaults/rc.conf ]
***snip***
>+ update_motd=YES
>+ start_vinum=
>+ [ -z  ]
>+ source_rc_confs_defined=yes
>+ source_rc_confs
>+ local i sourced_files
>+ sourced_files=:/etc/rc.conf:
>+ [ -r /etc/rc.conf ]
>+ . /etc/rc.conf
***snip***B

And when my rc.firewall is called up.  Hmm..This definately
helped.  Though I am not quite sure what is happening yet.  I will
have to study this a bit more.  But thank you, now I have something to
work with.

Marius M. Rex
"Well," Brahma said, "even after ten thousand explanations, a fool is
no wiser, but an intelligent man requires only two thousand five
hundred."
                -- The Mahabharata