Date:      Sun, 15 Oct 2000 02:16:09 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Sascha Klauder <sklauder@ibd-web.de>
To:        kkonstan@duth.gr
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "device timeout" with DFE-650

+-- on Sat Oct 14 22:50:18 2000, Konstantinos Konstantinidis wrote: ---
| I have exactly the same symptoms with my xircom. it was working perfectly
| for several months with 4.0-STABLE, but when I upgraded to 4.1.1 it
| started behaving this way. Needless to say, I'm pissed :)

Well, with some help from Sean O'Connell I solved my problem recently.
It is/was some problem with media sense and/or duplex mismatches.
The card now runs perfectly smooth, but only on one of the three hubs I
have access to and only at 100Mbps/half duplex. Most notably, this is
not a D-Link hub (the two others are made by D-Link).

| I am relieved to find out that it doesn't only affect the xircoms, since
| nothing relevant chagned on the xircom driver since 4.0 and I was really
| lost trying to figure out where the breakage was - I am now convinced that
| something somewhere else is really, really broken.

I'm sorry to hear that your card does no longer work, but beforehand, I
had tried 3.4-STABLE, 4.0-RELEASE and 4.1-STABLE and I had the same problems
with any of these so I don't think it's necessarily a problem with FreeBSD.
Although, AFAIK the ed(4) driver is quite monolithic and has no MII bus code
(yet?).

| Consider giving 4.0 a try - see if that works - it's not the card that's

I'm happily running 4.1.1-STABLE, now that cvsup works (ever copied a
FreeBSD source tree tarball over a serial cable at 12Kbps? :)

| I made a post regarding this on freebsd-mail last week but it seems to
| have been ignored - since then I've been spending all my free time debugging
| and can't honestly figure out why for some reason when large flows build
| up (so to say) the kernel stops sending packets to the card.

If you're really sure that you don't changed anything in your configuration
besides updating to 4.1 it is likely to be a software problem.

Cheers,
-sascha