Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2000 22:15:32 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        john d taylor <jdtaylor@digitalinksystems.com>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hardware Compatibility

--==_Exmh_1583920268P

If memory serves me right, john d taylor wrote:
> Can you tell me the revision date of the hardware list? Just like to get
> a feel of how current the information is. Thanks.

Well...there's really two questions here.  First you asked when the
hardware list was last changed.  That's pretty straightforward.  The
release notes have a modified version of the hardware list in them; any
version of the release notes that was modified in the last few months or
so has a CVS ident string on the bottom of the file that gives the date
it was last modified.  The hardware list doesn't have such a thing, but
I suppose we can add this.

(The handbook also has a version, but it's not updated as often, and
yes I know we should have all this information in one place only, or at
least maintained in one file.)

Your second question was how current this information is.  I'd have to
say it's reasonably accurate, for the most part.  I'm one of the people
who maintains this file (it's a distributed effort)...I get most of my
information out of commit messages, so I might not have a 100% accurate
view of what we support.  Sometimes, developers commit their own
changes to the release notes and hardware list when they change their
own code; this is the ideal situation but it doesn't always happen.
(My thanks to everyone who's done this, BTW.)

If there's something specific you want to know about and it isn't
addressed in the release notes or hardware list, I'd say to check
the mailing list archives for signs of discussion about it.  If you
don't find anything there, then send a note to -questions.

Hope this helps,

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_1583920268P

--==_Exmh_1583920268P--