Date:      Mon, 1 Jan 2001 13:59:45 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Roger P. Johnson" <rpj@fep.hirshfields.com>
To:        kg@dccnet.com (Kevin G. Eliuk)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why I can not see the picture of splash.bmp?

> lanehol@bellsouth.net wrote:
> >
> > I'm mystified by this as well.
> >
> > I've added the following to my /boot/loader.conf and included a bmp file
> > that is 1024 x 768 x 256 but I still can't see it when my system boots:
> >
> > splash_bmp_load="YES"
> > vesa_load="YES"
> > bitmap_load="YES"
> > bitmap_name="/boot/splash.bmp"
> >
> > I'm running 4.2-RELEASE and pseudo-device splash is uncommented in my kernel
> > config
> >
> > What's up with that?

Do you have "options VESA" in your kernel?
Try a 640x480 .bmp file first because ...
Some graphic cards can't do .bmp's greater than 640x480 such as
  the Mach64 based cards ...
> what error message from dmesg are you able to see in regards to splash_bmp?
> That should give you a clue to the problem.
What kind of messages do you get right when FreeBSD is booting up?
   You should see about 4 lines pertaining to modules loaded, bitmap load etc ...
Search the FreeBSD mailing lists...
It looks like you have it configured right...
BTW, your loader options should be in /boot/loader.conf.local.

-Roger