Date:      Tue, 2 Jan 2001 11:18:43 -0500
From:      "C. Stephen Gunn" <csg@waterspout.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with VLAN and natd.

On Mon, Jan 01, 2001 at 11:31:17PM -0700, Wes Peters wrote:

> Sorry to reply to my own message, but another thought hit me.  Now that
> the swelling has gone down, I thought I should share it:
>
> This might even give us a start at a sticky problem that has been bugging
> VLAN switch makers from the start, namely, per-VLAN ARP tables.  That is
> something really needed to do VLANs correctly.

Yeah.. having the same hardware MAC address on each of the virtual
interfaces can cause some bigtime problems.  We have a major problem
with a Cisco at Purdue where the hash it made of (mac_address +
ipaddress) was a colission between two of our subnets.  The layer-3
switch card in the Cisco decided that it was obviously a load-share
routed, route.  <sigh>

FreeBSD isn't too happy with 1/2 of its traffic arriving on the
_wrong_ virtual interface.. heh.

Anyways.. I digress..

I'm not entirely sure what per-interface (or vlan) arp entried on
FreeBSD would buy us.  The existing VLAN code only makes the *BSD
box a multihomed host, not a VLAN forwarder/router.  The latter
would require a mechnism to bridge/forward/filter packets between
independant 802.1q encapsulated interfaces.

 - Steve

--
C. Stephen Gunn                          URL: http://www.waterspout.com/
WaterSpout Communications, Inc.        Email: csg@waterspout.com