Date:      Sun, 22 Apr 2001 03:41:26 +0100
From:      Rasputin <rara.rasputin@virgin.net>
To:        Cedric Berger <cedric@wireless-networks.com>
Cc:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Jini on BSD

* Cedric Berger <cedric@wireless-networks.com> [010422 03:22]:
> Rasputin wrote:
>
> > I can't see any traffic across any interface
> > (although I'm not sure yet what protocols/ports dicovery uses -
> > multicast?)
>
> Yes, Discovery usually use multicasting (although there is an
> unicast discovery protocol too)
> Discovery Request Protocol use IP 224.0.1.85, port 4160
> Discovery Announcement Protocol use IP 224.0.1.84, port 4160

I'm seeing outbound packets to 224.0.1.176 port 4160 - lots
of them. My guess is this is either Mahalo or Outrigger trying to find Reggie.

All of these run on a single box, so I'm going to try adding
-Dcom.sun.jini.lookup.locator=jini://localhost
to their setup JVM flags and see if that helps.

> It would be a good idea to test if multicasting works
> with you BSD box and BSD/Java combination before
> trying to play with Jini.

I don't really want multicast, this is a standalone system.
Thanks for the tips, though.
--
Rasputin
Jack of All Trades :: Master of Nuns