Date:      Sun, 09 Sep 2001 11:50:22 -0700
From:      John Gordon <john.gordon@windriver.com>
To:        Chuck <banzai26@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG, bkarp@icsi.berkeley.edu
Subject:   Re: Linksys WAP11 and WPC11 on FreeBSD 4.3

Hello Chuck,

I have the 40/64 but WEP running, but not the 128 bit yet. I am using
the BEFW11S4 router/WAP combination, but I suspect it'll be basically
the same for the wireless setup. I had to upgrade the firmware on that
to be able to get 128 bit support (even though I'm stuck at the lower
setting for now, I'm ready for 128 bit).

The laptop side has the following in pccard.conf:

# Linksys WPC11 802.11b network card
card "Instant Wireless " " Network PC CARD"
        config auto "wi" ? 0x10000
        insert /usr/sbin/wicontrol -i $device -p 1
        insert /usr/sbin/wicontrol -i $device -f 6
        insert /usr/sbin/wicontrol -i $device -k 0xXXXXXXXXXX -v 1
        insert /usr/sbin/wicontrol -i $device -k 0xXXXXXXXXXX -v 2
        insert /usr/sbin/wicontrol -i $device -k 0xXXXXXXXXXX -v 3
        insert /usr/sbin/wicontrol -i $device -k 0xXXXXXXXXXX -v 4
        insert /usr/sbin/wicontrol -i $device -e 1
        insert /etc/pccard_ether $device start
        remove /etc/pccard_ether $device stop

(Replace the 0xXXXXXXXXXX parts with the keys shown on the access point
key config page.)

I had a lot more changes than you've shown. Mostly, they came from the
instructions at
http://lists.bawug.org/pipermail/wireless/2001-May/001084.html

Note that the automatic patching will fail as described in the
instructions, and you will have to manually apply a change in the header
file, if_wireg.h.

Additionally, I added this change:

*** if_wi.c     Sat Sep  8 02:02:34 2001
--- if_wi.c.orig        Sat Sep  8 00:27:34 2001
***************
*** 1454,1468 ****

        ifp = &sc->arpcom.ac_if;

!       /*
!        * If the card is gone and the memory port isn't mapped, we will
!        * (hopefully) get 0xffff back from the status read, which is
not
!        * a valid status value.
!        */
!       if (CSR_READ_2(sc, WI_STATUS) != 0xffff) {
!               CSR_WRITE_2(sc, WI_INT_EN, 0);
!               wi_cmd(sc, WI_CMD_DISABLE|sc->wi_portnum, 0);
!       }

        untimeout(wi_inquire, sc, sc->wi_stat_ch);

--- 1454,1461 ----

        ifp = &sc->arpcom.ac_if;

!       CSR_WRITE_2(sc, WI_INT_EN, 0);
!       wi_cmd(sc, WI_CMD_DISABLE|sc->wi_portnum, 0);

        untimeout(wi_inquire, sc, sc->wi_stat_ch);

This makes it safe to eject the card (without this change, my system
freezes on eject). This is taken from version 1.31 (but it is not
exactly that version since they relocated the source file so some of the
headers don't match up).

Hope that helps, if you get 128 bit working please let me know how ;-)

John...

PS If you'd like me to send you the if_wi.c and if_wireg.h files, please
just let me know and I'll send them over.