Date:      Thu, 4 Oct 2001 13:43:27 +0200
From:      Walter Hop <walter@binity.com>
To:        Brian Rudy <berudy@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about Connecting using X

>     My problem is when I try to X Window into the box (using
> Hummingbird's Exceed V. 6.2) I get an error that says it cannot connect
> using that method (REXEC).  I've tried RSH (to no avail).  I can telnet
> and ftp into the box fine just can't X Window into it.

Hi,

rexec and rsh are disabled by default in FreeBSD. Both are un-encrypted
protocols and considered unsafe. Can Exceed use SSH instead of RSH? Maybe
there is such an option in "Exceed"; if there is not, you can always:

1] ssh to the server; then issue a "xterm -display yourworkboxname:0.0"
   on the shell. This should open an xterm on your workbox.

2] enable the rsh, rexec services on the server by uncommenting the
   "exec" or "shell" lines from /etc/inetd.conf, then restarting
   inetd with: killall -HUP inetd. Be aware that your password travels
   in plaintext over the network, making a sniffing attack very easy.

Good luck,
walter

--
 Walter Hop <walter@binity.com>