Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2001 10:59:57 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        <fcash@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Feeding the Troll (Was: freebsd as a desktop ?)

Freddie writes:

> The outside DSL line is not the only communications
> medium in use here.

You said "routers for DSL/cable."  I don't know of any DSL or cable connections
that exceed 10 Mbps.

> Limiting your internal LAN to a 10 mbit *hub* is
> pointless nowadays unless you are only worried about
> the occasional file transfer between computers.

Probably.  But these routers maintain hub transfers at 100 Mbps, even when you
plug other machines directly into the on-board hub of the router.  And even if
you find a router that does not do this, you can just plug it into a cheap
switch that does.

In any case, I haven't been very successful at pushing my LAN to 100 Mbps (12.5
MB/s), even with direct connections between machines.  The best I've been able
to do is perhaps 20 Mbps, so something else is in the way.

> Also, having your main network gateway and all
> internal communication pass through the same
> point is not good security policy.

Why not?