Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2001 22:03:29 +0100
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        Gerardo Amaya <gerardo@delaluz.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: APM,CVSup,XFree

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 09:06:56AM -0600, Gerardo Amaya stood up and spoke:

[CUT the first question]

> 2.- I need in my computer the latest version of XFree, How do I
> configure cvsup in order to upgrade just
>        XFree, (I will upgrade everything later, but I need this to work
> first.)

Assuming that by "latest version" you mean the latest release version,
which is 4.1.0 (though 4.2.0 is due soon): In order to get that one, you'd
have to update your ports tree, as explained under
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook. With a current ports tree, just cd to
/usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4 and type "make" and if everything seems fine,
"make install". If you have a previous version of X installed, better
deinstall it first (I'd use pkg_delete -f, probably pkg_info | grep first
in order to find out what exactly the name of the package to delete is).

Notice that if you are running 4.4-RELEASE (and probably even
4.3-RELEASE?), you do not have to update your ports tree in order for
XFree86 4.1.0 to be available to you.

Also, if you are referring to some developement version of X, probably a
pre-release of the forthcomming 4.2.0, then we have no direct way for you
to update. You can definately get the latest X sources from XFree86 via
CVS, but these do not neccessarily have to be stable at this point. If you
need something that is not there in 4.1.0 but is supposed to be included in
4.2.0, you'll probably have to wait a few more weeks. 4.2.0 was due for the
end of November 2001, but it has slipped (because it always slips) and will
probably become officially available before the end of this year
(hopefully).

Greetings
Nils

--
Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany