Date:      Thu, 9 May 2002 15:16:03 -0700
From:      Jonathan Mini <mini@freebsd.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Michael Smith <msmith@mass.dis.org>, Gordon Tetlow <gordont@gnf.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nextboot loader diff

Terry Lambert [tlambert2@mindspring.com] wrote :

> Michael Smith wrote:
> > I still think you're not thinking the processes associated with this
> > feature through carefully enough.
>
> Liten to Mike; he is the loader guru.
>
> I don't know how the file I/O is done for the "YES/NO" change,
> since I have to have a couple of browsers open to read FORTH
> code.  8-(.
>
> However, the prototype I worked on at ClickArray with James
> (both guys who eventually donated code in that area were
> ClickArray folks) assumed that it would rewrite the file with
> equal length contents, as being the only safe way to do a
> write from the FORTH code.

This is the same code.

[ ... failover code deisgn ... ]

> Maybe you could ask Archie or Ambrisko to clarify the feature
> you're trying to replace, and then ask Mike about the code
> needed to do that?

Gordon is working on rewriting nextboot(8) so that it works again. I
shouldn't have to tell you to RTFM, Terry. ;P

--
Jonathan Mini <mini@freebsd.org>
http://www.haikugeek.com

"He who is not aware of his ignorance will be only misled by his knowledge."
                                                        -- Richard Whatley