Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 2002 11:18:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        ANTOINE Pierre <nunux@free.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AlphaServer 2100A Booting from Mini FreeBSD 4.5 ISO

(Please wrap your text at 72 columns)

ANTOINE Pierre writes:
 > Hi all,
 >
 > Some banking company gave an AlphaServer 2100A to my school, and the
 > sysadmin ask me
 > to install a free OS on it. Debian can't boot. I've try Mini-Freebsd 4.5
 > ISO booting CD
 > from the SRM. The loader go fine to a shell ("press enter to boot or a
 > key to shell")
 > but without changing anything, the boot freeze with an error message
 > about identification
 > after that.

A 2100A should work fine, assuming all the hardware in the box is
supported.  Can you please describe the hardware more fully
(transcribe the output of the command "show dev" at the SRM console
prompt >>>).

Also, please give the EXACT error message you see "about identification"
A transcription of everything you see when the machine boots would be
best.  It would be easiest to get this using a serial console.

Drew