Date:      Tue, 06 Oct 1998 00:43:33 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: RMS on UDI

> Linux is accumulating a groundswell of support that FreeBSD isn't. WHENEVER
> I hear of a company developing a product for Linux and ask, "What about
> FreeBSD?" they seem to say, "Free-who?" In my experience, FreeBSD doesn't
> enjoy even the recognition that OS/2, dying ember that it is, commands.
>
> That's a rut, folks.

Sigh.

I evidently just don't know how to communicate the message I've been
trying to get across over these last 4 or 5 exchanges, but I'll try
just one more time, this time with as much of a rein on my emotions as
I can manage and an honest desire to see an end to this kind of
destructive spiral rather than get into yet another cycle of argument.
Consider this message my response to both the above and a distillation
of last week's fracas.

I saw Brett on some TV talk show recently (Silicon somethingorother),
a program on which it was quite clear that the principal object of
discussion was going to be Linux and that he had better say some nice
things about it (which he did) if he wanted any camera time at all.  I
thought that Brett balanced this quite well, and even though he might
have gagged internally on some of the things he had to say in order to
get the opportunity to even mention FreeBSD in the same context (which
he also did), he said them and basically did what he had to do in
order to get the chance to smile on TV with some suits.  I thought it
was a great example of advocacy done as best possible given the
real-world constraints of the situation.

This example also illustrates why it's been such a heated issue
between Brett and I when he's then turned around and basically used an
entirely different set of standards for us, essentially damning us all
to hell for failing to achieve perfection in the face of some of those
very same real-world constraints and attacking the works of those few
allies we have rather than focusing his hostility on those who are
genuinely against us.  I'm quite sure Brett doesn't see it that way,
but you can take it as god's honest truth that I and many other people
cannot see it any other way and it's also an attack with no
conceivable purpose, from where we're sitting, since being abused has
never inspired and never is going to inspire us to achieve greater
things than we would have tried to achieve anyway.  As a "wake up
call" or attempt at inspiration, it fails utterly.  This is made all
the more painful by the fact that Brett has frequently been a great
help to us, yet during those times where Brett has flipped-over and
gone on the attack, he becomes no different than RMS, Russell Nelson
or Larry McVoy in my eyes and that's pretty sad since I also consider
those folks "the enemy" in many respects and have to constantly watch
my back, so to speak, while they're around.

It's frankly not the kind of duality we need in our lives.  A Brett
one minute doing a really kick-ass job of advocating FreeBSD and the
next minute kicking me and a lot of other hard-working people square
in the nuts is not a Brett who can be trusted since it's just a bit
too much like being raised by an alcoholic parent: You never know what
kind of shit is going to come down on a given day, you just know that
it's going to be random, unpredicable and very nasty.

So, in the interests of stress-reduction and general harmony where I
currently see a lot of very needless dischord, I ask only this (of
everyone in this discussion): Even if you don't think they might be
doing the best possible job, please avoid this kind of "friendly fire"
at the various folks who contributing to FreeBSD, both commercially
and privately.  Just skip it.  We have few enough of those kinds of
people to go around as it is without making the situation any more
difficult, and this kind of severely judgemental back-seat driving
makes it very difficult indeed.  Don't think this kind of talk doesn't
get back to the source - it does and it causes only pain, NOT more
rapid progress.

If you (the generic you) also think you can do a better job, in any
category, of promoting or "selling" freebsd to the masses then by all
means please feel more than free to just dive in and start doing it.
Leave all the worrying about schisms and such to the fates and focus
purely on what you, personally, have gotta do.  Do the right thing, as
they say, and the right things will happen.  If you aren't prepared to
step into someone else's shoes, on the other hand, then at least do
them the most basic courtesy of not spitting on them while under the
misapprehension that you're inspiring them to run faster.  It just
does not work that way, and I can tell you this from ample personal
experience.

More than a little saddened and disillusioned by what has been going
on lately, I thank you for listening to one last lamentation on my
part about all of this.  If it ends up making absolutely no difference
at all, I guess I can live with that too.

- Jordan