Date:      Thu, 10 Feb 2000 02:40:14 +0200
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
To:        John <papalia@udel.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NAT/Routing message 5

On Wed, Feb 09, 2000 at 02:07:11PM -0500, John wrote:
> >> Hey all,
> >>
> >> I've been poking around trying to learn, and I've currently got NATD
> >> running in verbose mode.  Periodically, I see a message in the file that
> >says:
> >> 	Routing message 5 received.
> >>
> >> And no more.  It doesn't seem to appear after any particular port or IP
> >> address - more "random" then anything.
> >>
> >> What does the message mean, what would trigger it, and is it anything
> >> important?
> >>
> >You are running natd(8) in both verbose and dynamic modes.  In dynamic
> >mode, natd(8) listens the routing socket for kernel messages, and in
> >verbose mode logs them.  Routing message of 5th type is "Kernel suspects
> >partitioning" message (see route(4) and /usr/src/sys/netinet/in_pcb.c).
> >What is the value of maxusers in your kernel config?
>
> Well, I read through (as best I could) man 4 route, and I'm not very sure
> exactly what the routing message #5 still means?  Kernel suspects
> partitioning, but of what or how?  I'm also not sure of what i'm looking at
> in /usr/src/sys/netinet/in_pcb.c.... it will take me a few days to muddle
> through the code and man pages to understand better what i'm looking at in
> there.

This is the RTM_LOSING message, see the comment for in_losing() procedure
in src/sys/netinet/in_losing.c, and then tcp_timer.c calling in_losing().
It seems, that this message will be issued when a number of retransmits
for a given destination becomes high, forcing the deletion of the route
in hoope for a better one.  Anyway, this does not hurt you in no way.
It is possible, that some destination host has a bad connectivity with
high loosage rate, causing this message to be generated.

--
Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA of the
ru@ucb.crimea.ua	United Commercial Bank,