Date:      Tue, 24 May 2005 11:41:03 +0200
From:      Harald Schmalzbauer <harry@schmalzbauer.de>
To:        Adam Weinberger <adamw@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: What happened to milter-sender?

--nextPart1576121.qMGBIFV69y

--Boundary-01=_xavkC7ckbj8VqBd

Am Dienstag, 24. Mai 2005 05:47 schrieb Adam Weinberger:
> Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:

> >>It's been gone for nearly half a year now. Looks like another stupid
> >>licence-related issue. Also, vs was not the author; he's just the guy
> >>who took care of removing the port.
> >>
> >># Adam
> >>

> >>Revision 1.44, Thu Dec 2 10:00:26 2004 UTC (5 months, 2 weeks ago) by
> >> vs Branch: MAIN
> >>CVS Tags: HEAD
> >>Changes since 1.43: +1 -1 lines
> >>FILE REMOVED
> >
> > Thanks a lot for that excerpt. Since the source code is still
> > officially available I could cvsup against my local mirror and salvage
> > this great port by setting the date as tag.
> > The port had alread been marked RESTRICTED, and the source code ist
> > still available, so I don't have any idea why it had to be removed...
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > -Harry
> >
> >>Remove mail/milter-sender on author's request. It might be resurrected
> >>in the future when the software is commercially available again.
>
> It had to be removed for the exact reason stated in the commit message:
> the author requested that it be. If you want to see the port return, see
> if you can talk the author into allowing it. I frankly think it's a
> shame when authors request that their software be pulled... it's usually
> requested for the most ridiculous of reasons.

Hm, rudiculous is a very keen word for his reasons I think. I'm not sure if=
=20
he knows the kind what a "port" does, please find attached some really=20
interesting conversation. Maybe I don't understand him right, english is=20
not my native language, but in my opinion this guy really has some=20
problems. Mostly underlined by the conslusion: Because of the discussen he=
=20
removed the source code from his site .... ?!?@?

Have fun,

=2DHarry

From: Harald Schmalzbauer <harry@cale.flintsbach.schmalzbauer.de>
To: achowe@snert.com
Subject: FreeBSD port skeleton of milter-sender
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 10:01:30 +0200

--nextPart1490714.Prste8Hr7H

Dear Anthony Howe,

I read your license and since I'd use your software as end-user (for=20
non-comercal purposes for myself and for commercial purposes for a friend=20
of mine) I think I'm allowed to do so without signing a contract or paying=
=20
a fee.
Unfortunately I saw that you insistet on removing the port skeleton from=20
the FreeBSD CVS ports tree. Some people spent some time to make your=20
(probably) great software usable as convinient, safe and reliable as=20
possible. FreeBSD ports system is the thing that cares about dependencies,=
=20
basic requirements and any "patches" needed specefic to FreeBSD (since=20
it's a standardized operating system where third part software is never=20
allowed to touch anything outside /usr/local for example).
Your source code is not included in that port skeleton, only the official=20
address where it can be downloaded, which will be autotaically done when=20
building the port.
Also it was marked RESTRICTED, so no precompiled packages will be created=20
or distributed by the binary build cluster.
I really can't imagine why you wanted the port skeleton to be removed while=
=20
still offering your software publically for free under the terms of your=20
license, which the port doesn't violate at all (especially not part 4:
	4.  Non-commercial redistribution, including but not limited to
	mirrors, archives, collections, bundles, CDROMS, of the original
	source archive, derived binaries, and/or patches is NOT permitted
	without the prior written permission in hardcopy (letter or fax) from
	the author.)
since it doesn't include your code at all.

Please, give us (the FreeBSD people) the chance to follow your work and=20
make it usable for all FreeBSD users as long as you make it publically=20
available. If you remove your source code from the official site the port=20
won't be buildable anymore, so you keep control at any time.
I'm looking forward telling the responsible people that the milter-sender=20
port skeleton can return to our CVS ports tree.

=46or ego pumping:
Wenn ich Ihre Zeilen richtig verstanden habe arbeiten Sie in fremden=20
L=E4ndern in denen nicht Englisch die Amtssprache ist. Ich w=FCnsche Ihnen=
=20
dabei viel Spass und hoffe Sie schreiben weiterhin Programme die so genial=
=20
wie milter-sender sind. Falls Sie auch im deutschsprachigen Raum arbeiten=20
hoffe ich damit Ihr Ego aufgebaut zu haben ;)

Kind regards,

=2DHarry

Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 11:05:37 +0200
From: Anthony Howe <achowe@snert.com>
To: Harald Schmalzbauer <harry@schmalzbauer.de>
Subject: Re: FreeBSD port skeleton of milter-sender

Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
> Please, give us (the FreeBSD people) the chance to follow your work and
> make it usable for all FreeBSD users as long as you make it publically
> available. If you remove your source code from the official site the port
> won't be buildable anymore, so you keep control at any time.
> I'm looking forward telling the responsible people that the milter-sender
> port skeleton can return to our CVS ports tree.

Absolutely NOT!  It is expressly forbidden to add any of my software
that does NOT come with a OSI approved license to the ports tree. Have I
made myself clear.

--
Anthony C Howe                                 +33 6 11 89 73 78
http://www.snert.com/       ICQ: 7116561         AIM: Sir Wumpus

new moon on high / jasmine on the breeze / quiet twilight

--Boundary-01=_xavkC7ckbj8VqBd

Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 11:23:22 +0200
From: Anthony Howe <achowe@snert.com>
To: Harald Schmalzbauer <harry@schmalzbauer.de>

Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 24. Mai 2005 11:05 schrieb Anthony Howe:
>
>>Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
>>
>>>Please, give us (the FreeBSD people) the chance to follow your work
>>>and make it usable for all FreeBSD users as long as you make it
>>>publically available. If you remove your source code from the official
>>>site the port won't be buildable anymore, so you keep control at any
>>>time.
>>>I'm looking forward telling the responsible people that the
>>>milter-sender port skeleton can return to our CVS ports tree.
>>
>>Absolutely NOT!  It is expressly forbidden to add any of my software
>>that does NOT come with a OSI approved license to the ports tree. Have I
>>made myself clear.
>

> Not really, your software wasn't added and won't ever be added to the ports
> tree, just the information where to get and how to build your software.
> But maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying because of license
> knwoledge lacks, I don't know anything about OSI approved license. You
> want to say that the port skeleton needs to get an OSI license certificate
> that you allow it to reference youre source code?

OSI = Open Source Initiative http://www.opensource.org/

They have defined what open source is, have a trademark, and approve
open source licenses. My software does NOT use an open source license
and is NOT open source by desire. I maintain my copyright and legal
rights to the software. Item 4 prohibits derivateive works, such as
patches. The ports collection supplies patches and is a derivative work,
thus denied.

4. Non-commercial redistribution, including but not limited to mirrors,
archives, collections, bundles, CDROMS, of the original source archive,
derived binaries, and/or patches is NOT permitted without the prior
written permission in hardcopy (letter or fax) from the author.

Anyways. As a result of this discussion. I've taken the download section
offline until the next release of the software and web site areready.