Date:      Sun, 17 Jul 2005 18:06:15 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@freebsd.org>
To:        Mike Edenfield <kutulu@kutulu.org>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, bmah@freebsd.org, Dennis Kirschner <dennis@carpe.net>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: vnc-4.1.1

--=-gYs9KFEaIB7oZ+eenDsH

If memory serves me right, Mike Edenfield wrote:
> Jack L. wrote:
>=20
>  > On 7/16/05, Dennis Kirschner <dennis@carpe.net> wrote:
>  >
>  >> I just did a "make install clean" on the VNC port and the
>  >> installation immediately goes out to download the sources
>  >> for XFree86 4.3.0, as though my system (5.4-RELEASE-p4)
>  >> is running x.org <http://x.org>; 6.8.2.
>  >>
>  >> Is it supposed to do that? XFree86 is not listed as a
>  >> dependency of the /net/vnc/ port.
>=20
>  > Yes, I'ved noticed it does that as well. I think it's
>  > supposed to do that, but it would be nice if it used xorg.
>=20
> Yes, it's supposed to do that.  RealVNC's build requires=20
> that version of the X source to be present when building the=20
> vncserver.  It's not installing any separate parts of XF86=20
> on your system, as far as I can tell; it's merely using the=20
> source code in its own build process.

net/vnc needs the XFree86 sources because they're a required part of the
Xvnc build.  If you don't need the Xvnc server, then you can define
WITHOUT_SERVER when building/installing the port.

> Note that other VNC clones, such as TightVNC (which I use)=20
> don't have this behavior; this suggests it might be possible
> to swap out XF86 for Xorg and still get a working RealVNC.=20
> There's no X_SOURCE_FILES or anything similar in=20
> bsd.port.mk, so vnc's Makefile would need a condition on=20
> X_WINDOW_SYSTEM added to it directly.  I may try this later=20
> to see if it works.

The port maintainer tried building with Xorg and had problems (sorry I
don't recall what those are).  Not sure if he posted this to a list or
not; I learned of it through a private email exchange.

BTW, the vnc.so loadable module built with the port works just great
with Xorg.

Bruce.

--=-gYs9KFEaIB7oZ+eenDsH

--=-gYs9KFEaIB7oZ+eenDsH--