Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 2006 02:31:21 +0400
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jared Ring <jared@little-miracles.org>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Compiling an amd64 and i386 world

--6WlEvdN9Dv0WHSBl

On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 08:06:57AM +1000, Jared Ring wrote:
> Hi, please reprimand me if this was the wrong list to ask on
>=20
> I have a number of i386 machines, for maintaining them only one tracks=20
> -stable and builds the kernel and world,the others mount /usr/obj and=20
> /usr/src from this host and install from there. This is all described in=
=20
> the handbook.
>=20
> Now we have purchased some more machines, and these are amd64=20
> architecture. Is it possible to setup my buildmachine to build both i386=
=20
> and amd64 worlds/kernels and then configure make.conf on the appropriate=
=20
> clients so that they install the right one?
>=20
> Thanks for your time and help in answering this. On this one point, the=
=20
> handbook doesnt really seem clear. I'd be happy to provide a bit of doco=
=20
> for the handbook if it really is okay.
>=20
We support cross-building and installing for a different hardware
architecture.  Remote root, /usr and /var partitions should be
mounted on say /mnt of the build host, then doing "make installworld
DESTDIR=3D/mnt" together with other options used to build will DTRT.
See the build(7) manpage for details, especially the bits about
TARGET_ARCH/TARGET and rpc.lockd(8).

Cheers,
--=20
Ruslan Ermilov