Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 2003 10:58:08 -0500
From:      Dan Delaney <dionysos@mail.dionysia.org>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: running freebsd os cobalt machines ?

On Wednesday, February 5, 2003, at 10:34 AM, Thomas von Hassel wrote:
> i know someone asked this question before:
> But no one answered the man  ...can anyone tell us if it can or cannot
> be done ?

Personally, I doubt it. The Cobalt is not a generic machine, and it
runs a highly modified version of RedHat Linux. To install a new
version of RedHat onto it you have to install it onto the drive on
ANOTHER machine, apply the kernel patches, then put the drive back into
the Cobalt. The reason I doubt that you could put a BSD on it is
because of these Linux kernel patches that are needed to even make the
OS boot up on the Cobalt.

But who knows. I've never tried putting a BSD on a Cobalt, but I have
put a new version of RedHat on one. It's a pain. Read through the
following site (which explains how to get a new version of RedHat on a
Cobalt) and see if you think it would work for a BSD.

http://www.gurulabs.com/rhl-cobalt-howto/

Cheers
--Dan