Date:      Wed, 6 Aug 2008 02:44:11 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jordi Espasa Clofent <jespasac@minibofh.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Q: case studies about scalable, enterprise-class firewall w/ IPFilter

On Wed, Aug 06, 2008 at 10:21:51AM +0200, Jordi Espasa Clofent wrote:
>> Well, there are always Juniper Networks boxes :-)
>
> I do the same (even more in some points) as Juniper boxes with simple
> standard boxes with OpenBSD and PF.
>
> At present day my central FWs are simply standard 2 boxes (each one cost
> 1000 euros aprox); I remember the Juniper guy offering me a 'cheap'
> 7000/12000 euros solution...... :P

I'm amazed at the fact that people are actually comparing FreeBSD with
pf to Juniper routers.  I've a bit of experience with M20s and M40s, and
I can assure you they're VERY different than a little x86 PC routing
packets, and are significantly faster due to hardware routing.

For example, you should be aware of a pf(4) bug that was only recently
fixed.  Our FreeBSD systems only use ACLs + state track, and have low
network I/O (600kbit/sec) -- yet this sort of thing impacts production
packets on a webserver:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/125261
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/contrib/pf/net/pf.c

Max committed the fix to CURRENT, and it should be MFC'd on the 11th.  I
hope it gets backported to RELENG_6 as well, since it's pretty major
(IMHO).

My point isn't to insult or poke fun at pf or FreeBSD.  I'm simply
stating "if you really think an x86 box with pf is better than a
Juniper, you're sadly mistaken".  I'm not telling you to go out and buy
a Juniper either, especially if it's out of your price range -- but you
really need to be more aware of the differences before toting the "my
FreeBSD box can do the job better!" attitude.  I'm glad FreeBSD with pf
works for you, though.

> Moreover, as far I know, the core of Juniper devices is BSD (FreeBSD
> especially) based.

Correct, JunOS is FreeBSD 4.x-based.

On the other hand, I find it amusing that Juniper's routers use ATA
disks.  A single disk failure results in the system becoming unusable
administratively (requiring a reboot), while the routing engine still
works fine (e.g.  packets are still routed properly, ACLs applied,
etc.).  Config data is kept on CF, so that isn't lost.  You just can't
SSH into it, and all you'll see on serial console is repetitive ATA and
SMART errors.  I've seen this happen on three separate routers on three
separate occasions at my workplace.

For something that costs so much money, you'd have expected them to go
with some form of disk redundancy, SCSI disks, or SSDs.