Date:      Wed, 05 Nov 2008 17:21:34 +0200
From:      Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Intel 82801I hda, STAC9271D codec: problem(s)

Andriy Gapon wrote:
> Headphones playback: works only through pcm0 and only through rear
> connector. Front jack playback doesn't work using either pcm device.

It may happen if your front connector is too simple and does not really
supports jack detection reported by the codec. Without knowing that jack
is inserted, driver will not redirect sound there. You may check jack
presence feature by comparing pin dump output (sysctl
dev.hdac.0.pindump=1) with and without jack inserted.

> It used to work with stock stable_7 driver.

7-STABLE driver plays the same sound via all possible connectors. New
driver behaves in much more complicated way according to UAA specification.

> Also it seems that volume of playback is lower than it used to be.

New driver uses different volume control scheme. But the general volume
range should be the same. Your codec provides very broad range of
supported volumes, from -95 to 0dB. So 80% of that range is probably
very quiet.

> Recording: I tested only rear jack and it seems that it works only
> through pcm1(!). Nothing is recorded through pcm0 whatever recording
> source I tried.

That's strange. Codec configuration speaks that pcm0 must record from
rear mic (monitor), rear line-in (line), and pcm1 must record from front
mic (mic). It may be a codec misconfiguration.

> So for now I am using only rear jacks and I use pcm0 for playback and
> pcm1 for recording. This is Good Enough(thanks!) but I am curious if
> there is a room for improvement. I read through the update man page, but
> I am probably too dense to figure which knobs I should try changing.
> There is just too many possibilities.

There are really much possibilities, but you should first answer two
questions: what do you want to have and what your hardware can do?

Some examples of possible configurations provided in man page, but you
may want to invent something more customized. The main hardware feature
you should test - is a jack presence detection. More info about your
codec organization you may get from diagram on page 35 of codec
datasheet: http://www.idt.com/products/getDoc.cfm?docID=18451989

--
Alexander Motin