Date:      Sun, 25 Feb 2007 14:10:54 +0100
From:      Harald Schmalzbauer <h.schmalzbauer@omnisec.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        philip@radford-online.co.uk
Subject:   Re: Core 2 Duo

Am Sonntag, 25. Februar 2007 10:10 schrieb Abdullah Ibn Hamad Al-Marri:
> On 2/25/07, Philip Radford <philip@radford-online.co.uk> wrote:
> >    In the past on a P4 chip I would put pentium4 in the cputype
> >    parameter in /etc/make.conf but are there any other settings here I
> >    can adjust or any by using sysctl.
>
> I'm using CPUTYPE?=3Dprescott amd it's safe, nocona broke my kernel.

I'm no compiler expert, but prescott and nocona are Net-Burst architectures.
Core(2) is a pentium-m successor, which was a completely different (x86)=20
architecture, so optimizations for netburst won't have a positive effect, i=
f=20
they work at all.

I use CPUTYPE?=3Dpentium-m, but I've never done any comparisions to binarie=
s=20
compiled without CPUTYPE. After several years observation with CPUTYPE I=20
guess the improovement ist smaller than ever these days, and until now it w=
as=20
rarely mesureable.

=2DHarry

=2D-=20
OmniSEC  -  UNIX und Windows Netzwerke - Sicher
Harald Schmalzbauer
=46lintsbacher Str. 3
80686 M=C3=BCnchen
+49 (0) 89 18947781