Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 2009 08:47:18 -0400
From:      "Tom Haapanen" <tomh@motorsport.com>
To:        <freebsd-jail@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Memory usage across multiple jails

Andrew Snow wrote:
> * the jails share disk cache
> * jails don't have any reserved memory so any unused memory returns to
> the free pool of the kernel, available for disk cache
> * there is a single kernel shared across all jails
> * userland code can also be shared across jails *if* you run the code
> from the same set of on-disk binaries (which is not the way most people
> set up jails)
> * since there is only a single kernel all network and disk I/O from the
> jails goes at the same speed as the host

Thanks, Andrew (and Michael) -- that sounds very good.  It certainly looks
like I should be able to achieve some resource efficiencies this way vs
running multiple physical servers.

I'm also further educated about VMware ... though that's less important for
me at the moment as I would really prefer to run the host on FreeBSD as well
(and I suspect those required guest drivers aren't available for FreeBSD,
either).

Tom