Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2001 11:09:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Wilde <twilde@dyndns.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: BIND9

On Wed, 10 Oct 2001, Matt Penna wrote:

> Isn't it sufficient to simply specify the path to the new named binary by
> setting the 'named_program' field in /etc/rc.conf? (E.g.,
> named_program="/usr/local/sbin/named") If not, I've learned something new,
> yet again.

That will probably work for booting, but you have to be careful when using
bundled tools (dig, host, nslookup, nsupdate, etc).  nsupdate in
particular is one that's had some significant and important changes in
BIND 9, so if you're doing dynamic updates, you're going to have to fiddle
with your path, use absolute paths, or rename/remove the old binary (which
is what I've done myself).

Tim

--
Tim Wilde