Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2012 23:34:22 +0400
From:      Snow Mountains <snow.mountains.4@gmail.com>
To:        Shane Ambler <FreeBSD@shaneware.biz>
Cc:        freebsd questions list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on SSD on ASUS P5KPL-C

2012/11/18 Shane Ambler <FreeBSD@shaneware.biz>:
> On 18/11/2012 06:49, Snow Mountains wrote:
>
>> Could you recommend a reliable document on how to do a correct block
>> alignment for new FreeBSD 9 install? FreeBSD Handbook doesn't
>> mention this at all, although I can find a lot of (not quite
>> consistent) advises on the net on how to do it with gpart/newfs.
>
> Over the last week there has been a discussion with the subject
> "Advanced Format Drive ?" on this list that has been discussing that.
> If you only just signed up then you can search for it in the mail archives.

There is a lot of useful info there, and I also found a lot of useful
tips from Warren Block on how to create swap as a file, how to use
tmpfs, about noatime etc. However, nowhere I can found anything that
could explain me for sure how to do this BEFORE that:

I've got 240G Kingston SSD. I want this:

win7:
  ada2s1 ~ 30G empty (probably for experimental little win7 install in
the future)

freebsd9:
  ada2s2a ~3G for /
  ada2s2d ~80G the for /usr (separated for easier backup)
  ada2s2f ~ the rest for storage

How to do this with gpart, respecting 4g alignment etc? Can anybody
share the exact commands to achieve this?

SergiM