Date:      Thu, 14 Feb 2013 03:13:57 +0100
From:      Pierre Guinoiseau <pierre@guinoiseau.eu>
To:        Adam McDougall <mcdouga9@egr.msu.edu>, Kai Gallasch <gallasch@free.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 9.1 - openldap slapd lockups, mutex problems

--j+MD90OnwjQyWNYt

On 22/01/2013 10:55:48, Adam McDougall <mcdouga9@egr.msu.edu> wrote:

> On 01/22/13 05:19, Kai Gallasch wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > (Im am sending this to the "stable" list, because it maybe kernel relat=
ed.. )

> > On 9.1-RELEASE I am witnessing lockups of the openldap slapd daemon.
> >
> > The slapd runs for some days and then hangs, consuming high amounts of =
CPU.
> > In this state slapd can only be restarted by SIGKILL.
> >
> >   # procstat -kk 71195
> >    PID    TID COMM             TDNAME           KSTACK
> > 71195 149271 slapd            -                mi_switch+0x186 sleepq_c=
atch_signals+0x2cc sleepq_wait_sig+0x16 _sleep+0x29d do_wait+0x678 __umtx_o=
p_wait+0x68 amd64_syscall+0x546 Xfast_syscall+0xf7
>=20
> > On UFS2 slapd runs fine, without showing the error.
> > Has anyone else running openldap-server on FreeBSD 9.1 inside a jail se=
en similar problems?
>=20
> I have seen openldap spin the cpu and even run out of memory to get=20
> killed on some of our test systems running ~9.1-rel with zfs.  No jails.
> I'm not sure what would have put load on our test systems other than=20
> nightly scripts.  I had to focus my attention on other servers so I=20
> don't have one to inspect at this point, but I won't be surprised if I=20
> see this in production.  Thanks for the tip about it being ZFS related,=
=20
> and I'll let you know if I find anything out.  This is mostly a "me too"=
=20
> reply.

Hi,

I've the same problem too, inside a jail, stored on ZFS. I've tried various
tuning in slapd.conf, but none fixed the problem. While hanging, db_stat -c
shows that all locks are being used, I've tried to set the limit really hig=
h,
far more than normally needed, but it didn't help. I may have the same prob=
lem
with amavisd-new but I've to verify that to be sure the symptoms are simila=
r.

I had no problem at all with the same setup on FreeBSD 8.2R, it was my most
stable service back then. I've not tried with 9.0R.

--j+MD90OnwjQyWNYt

--j+MD90OnwjQyWNYt--