Date:      Thu, 13 Nov 1997 19:17:43 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pentium lockup fix in FreeBSD

[ Private email ]

> > There was no mention of 'newsgroups' in Sean postings, so how were we to
> > know that is where this discussion between Sean and you took place.  The
> > first I heard about it was your last email to me.
>
> I hardly see how that's relevant since you just refused to read it
> there in any case, so what good would it have done for Sean to mention
> it anyway?  You'd have simply refused to read it earlier is all. :)

Well, I didn't have the ability to read it, and won't until tomorrow
since my ISP's new server is on/off.

> I'm not making policy decisions....

> attack on a shell account machine.  I don't see how you or Sean can
> equate this with "Jordan says that FreeBSD could give a shit."

Based on what I heard from Sean, it sounded like a policy decision based
on 'people can break into FreeBSD'.  Here, let me go get the original so
I'm not speaking w/out basis.

I quote:
I have been trying to get this working in FreeBSD since last night; right
now, I'm not sure why what is happening is happening.  But I'm giving up --
I've had it "explained" to me by Jordan that even if I got it working, it
would not be considered, because this is simply not anything that anyone
needs to worry about.

I read:

Jordan isn't worried about the bug.

Later on he writes:
(And, yes, I find Jordan's attitude that nobody should care, since there are
other things that can be done to destroy a system, offensive.  Just as
offensive as Intel's official suggestion that you can always reboot your
system.)

I read:

Jordan claims that there are bigger breakin problems than this, and we
haven't expended any resources at fixing them, so why should we expend
resources fixing this.

> What Jordan is saying is that FreeBSD could stand to wait a couple of
> more days to see Intel's work-around and it wouldn't result in the
> collapse of western society as we know it.

That's not what I read above.  Now, I'm getting it 2nd hand from SEF,
but the *impression* I got was that you and him had had a discussion in
private email about his fix, and you told him to bugger off and not
worry about the bug.

What you're saying now is that "let's wait a few days and see what
happens", which is valid.  However, letting Sean come up with a
disgusting hack 'for now' that can be pulled out and replaced in the
near future when something better comes along is just as valid todo,
given the seriousness of the bug.

Nate