Date:      Sun, 6 Oct 2013 09:17:10 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Eric Feldhusen <efeldhusen.lists@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Problem completing a 9.1 release to 9.2 release upgrade

On Sun, 06 Oct 2013 08:08:42 +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 05/10/2013 21:41, Polytropon wrote:
> > On Sat, 5 Oct 2013 16:00:25 -0400, Eric Feldhusen wrote:
> >>  I see my /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC is a 9.2 kernel, so I should just
> >> be able to do a
> >>
> >> cd /usr/src
> >> make buildworld
> >> make installworld
> >> reboot
> >>
> >> and I'll be running up on the 9.2 kernel and then I'll be all set?
> >
> > No. You should follow the procedure mentioned in the
> > comment header of /usr/src/Makefile. From my (old)
> > b-STABLE system:
> >
> > #  1.  `cd /usr/src'       (or to the directory containing your source tree).
> > #  2.  `make buildworld'
> > #  3.  `make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'     (default is GENERIC).
> > #  4.  `make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'   (default is GENERIC).
> > #       [steps 3. & 4. can be combined by using the "kernel" target]
> > #  5.  `reboot'        (in single user mode: boot -s from the loader prompt).
> > #  6.  `mergemaster -p'
> > #  7.  `make installworld'
> > #  8.  `make delete-old'
> > #  9.  `mergemaster'            (you may wish to use -i, along with -U or -F).
> > # 10.  `reboot'
> > # 11.  `make delete-old-libs' (in case no 3rd party program uses them anymore)
> >
> > Pick what you need to do. When kernel and world sources are
> > in sync, a new kernel can always be installed in multi-user
> > mode. To install world, you should drop to single-user mode
> > to avoid interferences with a full-featured system running
> > in the "background". This procedure (or parts of it) will
> > also work when you have been using freebsd-update to modify
> > your kernel, world, and sources.
> >

> Errrmm... The OP is maintaining his system using freebsd-update -- just
> building and installing a replacement kernel from the source tree
> installed via freebsd-update is in fact perfectly OK and a supported way
> to manage a FreeBSD system.

That is true. But if I understand the question (as quoted
above) correctly, installing world from source has been
involved, that's why my suggestion of following the
instructions (or a subset of them, as it applies).

> While you are quoting the official instructions from /usr/src/UPDATING
> here (so they are completely correct in that sense) these are the
> instructions to do something rather different to what the OP intended.

I've copied the the instructions from the comment header
of /usr/src/Makefile (at least on my outdated system at
home they're there). Of course if the _only_ problem of
the initial question is to install a custom kernel, with
an otherwise updated system using freebsd-update (with
world, kernel and sources in sync), just installing a
custom kernel from within multi-user mode is fully
supported by the system. This implies that only a small
subset of the quoted instructions would apply here
(steps 1 and 3 - 5), after freebsd-update has been
finished successfully.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany