Date:      Wed, 26 Aug 2015 23:04:54 -0700
From:      "Brian W." <brian@brianwhalen.net>
To:        Mark Tinka <mark.tinka@seacom.mu>
Cc:        Questions at FreeBSD <questions@freebsd.org>,  Walter Ian Kaye <freebsd-org2015@natural-innovations.com>
Subject:   Re: Major version upgrade from FreeBSD 7.0

I did something similar last year and upgraded to the last 7.x release then
the last 8.x then the last 9.x then 10.0. The package setup was the biggest
bear. In v9 while still using the old pkg system i visually examined
/var/db/pkg, removed all packages, installed the pkg sysytem and then
reinstalled the packages I wanted.

Brian