Date:      Mon, 21 Mar 2016 12:01:09 -0600
From:      John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
To:        Paul Vixie <paul@redbarn.org>
Cc:        =?utf-8?B?0KHQtdGA0LPQtdC5INCc0LDQvNC+0L3QvtCy?= <mrqwer88@gmail.com>, Sergei Mamonov <mamonov@fastvps.ru>, "freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org" <freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ZFS subvolume support inside Bhyve vm

> On Mar 10, 2016, at 5:31 PM, Paul Vixie <paul@redbarn.org> wrote:
>=20
> =D0=A1=D0=B5=D1=80=D0=B3=D0=B5=D0=B9 =D0=9C=D0=B0=D0=BC=D0=BE=D0=BD=D0=BE=
=D0=B2 wrote:
>> Hello!
>>=20
>> Yes - zvols looks awesome. But what driver you use for it?
>=20
> virtio-blk.
>=20
>> And what
>> about disk usage overhead in guest?
>=20
> ufs on zvol is faster, either in the parent or a bhyve using =
virtio-blk, than zfs. at least for writing, which is my dominant work =
load. i expect that this is due to zfs's compression logic rather than =
anything having to do with creating/extending files to accommodate =
writes.
>=20
>> virtio-blk doesnt support fstrim (ahci-hd support it, but slower? =
"/At
>> this point virtio-blk is indeed faster then ahci-hd on high IOPS/").
>> In linux && kvm we try used virtio-scsi driver with support fstrim, =
but
>> how I see it not availble now in 10-2 stable for bhyve.
>> And I not lonely with this question -
>> =
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-virtualization/2015-March/0034=
42.html
>=20
> i'm just going to live without fstrim until it's supported in =
virtio-blk. i know that this option isn't available to everybody, but at =
the moment storage is cheap enough to waste.

At the risk of getting farther off-topic..

Virtio-blk can't and won't support fstrim. If/when bhyve were to have =
virtio-scsi support that could work with trim, but last I was aware =
there wasn't a whole lot of momentum in that direction. The virtual AHCI =
controller in bhyve does support trim and performs remarkably well. =
That's what I use for my vol-backed VMs and I haven't had any =
complaints. Worth testing, IMO.

JN