Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2001 23:32:28 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Jonathan Hilgeman <JHilgeman@ecx.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd@masspostroad.net'" <freebsd@masspostroad.net>, "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re:

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 02:22:57PM -0700, Jonathan Hilgeman wrote:
> Theory #1139:
> A demon is thought to be a supernatural being that has limited power, but
> its power cannot be used unless it is invoked. Likewise, a daemon sits in
> the background and HAS power, but it doesn't use it unless it is called or
> invoked.
>
> - Jonathan

From the FreeBSD Handbook:

	We call these programs daemons. Daemons were characters in
	Greek mythology; neither good or evil, they were little
	attendant spirits that, by and large, did useful things for
	mankind. Much like the web servers and mail servers of today do
	useful things. This is why the BSD mascot has, for a long time,
	been the cheerful looking daemon with sneakers and a pitchfork.

(Hint: Read the documentation. There is a lot of useful and/or
interesting stuff there.)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson