Date:      Wed, 12 Oct 2005 15:50:06 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        pb <pbjg@internode.on.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Signal 11

--ggEtdcIX3XIOBw6T

On Wednesday, 12 October 2005 at 15:59:39 +1000, pb wrote:
> Hi all
> Can anyone tell me what a 'signal 11' is

Signals are a kind of software interrupt.  This particular one is
called SIGSEGV, or a segmentation violation.  This means that the
processor has caught the program attempting to do something like
access non-existent memory.

> and why it causes my attempted install to crash about half way
> through.

It's quite common for flaky hardware to fail like this.  If it always
happens in the same place, it may be a software bug, in which case it
would be good to know where it happens.  If it happens in random
places, conventional wisdom has it that your memory is probably flaky.

Greg

--ggEtdcIX3XIOBw6T

--ggEtdcIX3XIOBw6T--