Date:      Fri, 19 Nov 2021 23:02:45 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Pau Amma <pauamma@gundo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-git <freebsd-git@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: CI Piplines

--00000000000072e48a05d1322496

Sorry for my delay in replying... I've been extra busy at work...

On Sat, Nov 13, 2021 at 12:16 PM Pau Amma <pauamma@gundo.com> wrote:

> On 2021-11-12 21:24, Warner Losh wrote:
> > The weekly meetings haven't been as productive as I'd have liked them
> > be. That tells me I need to try something else. That's another reason I
> > skipped this week, but I'm planning on having one next week at the 1pm
> > MST
> > time slot (UTC 20:00). More details by Monday.
>
> I welcome this use of the mailing list as a medium for discussion, and I
> hope it becomes the primary, and who knows maybe the only medium, since,
> in addition to working across timezones and sleep cycles, it would
> enable me to take part in discussions equally. (And before anyone trots
> out that trope again, let me repeat: I am talking about ability to take
> part at all, not taste or preference.)

Understood.

> > First up on that list is before the commit testing. We can do a lot
> > more. I
> > have done work with other projects that have setup sophisticated
> > pipelines
> > to ensure that nothing is broken. We have a couple of github and Cirrus
> > CI
> > jobs defined in the tree for smoke testing, but it would be nice to
> > have
> > more.
>
> I had a look at https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-ci/tree/master/jobs
> and although I don't understand most of it, there seems to be 2 pieces
> related to docs with different tests being run, FreeBSD-doc-main and
> phabric-FreeBSD-doc-main. However, I haven't seen, in the nearly 2 years
> since I've had a phabricator account, any evidence that uploading doc
> diffs to it for review will trigger CI actions.

There's currently no triggers configured in phabricator to trigger a Jenkins
run. All the Jenkins runs are done after the fact to ensure that the docs
tree continues to build.

> It would be nice IMO to have something that upon submitting or updating
> a phabricator doc review (or maybe even before that, eg when committing
> to a documenter's local git clone) would do some or all of:
> - checking for AsciiDoc markup errors
> - checking for bad link targets
> - optionally, based on individual preferences and document language,
> checking spelling
> - rendering, at least to HTML
> - checking the result against accessibility guidelines (ideally, this
> would use the AsciiDoc source for ease of interpretation and correction
> of problems, but most accessibility checkers I know of only deal with
> HTML, and some checks, like color and contrast, are only possible when
> HTML and CSS are both available)
> - reporting to the author in near real-time (an email within a few
> minutes would probably be enough)
>
> I don't know, however, whether that would take phabricator action, CI
> action, or both.

Phabricator has the ability to kick off Jenkins runs.
https://github.com/uber/phabricator-jenkins-plugin
has what looks like the necessary plugin. And
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/using-phabricator-jenkins-git-continuous-automated-pre-commit-tayal
has a walkthrough of setting it up. Would you be able to look into what it
would take
to apply those instructions to our phabricator setup? We have a 'test'
phabricator
setup that I think you can get access to if you wanted to try to do all the
things
listed above.

Warner

--00000000000072e48a05d1322496--