Date:      Sat, 28 Mar 2009 12:37:18 +0100
From:      Mel Flynn <mel.flynn+fbsd.questions@mailing.thruhere.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        L Campbell <llc2w@virginia.edu>
Subject:   Re: [pkg_add] PACKAGESITE weirdness - URL not correct for dependencies?

On Thursday 26 March 2009 21:46:07 L Campbell wrote:
> Okay, so apparently there's some serious weirdness in the logic in
> src/usr.sbin/pkg_install/lib/url.c, in fileGetURL. This function takes
> two parameters, base and spec, and has the following behavior --

<snip behavior and patch>

Yes, it is a bit counter-intuitive. However it's documented in the pkg_add(1)
manpage that PACKAGESITE should resolve to the full URL where packages can be
found (even the trailing slash).

I've found in practice, that it is the easiest to set your webroot below All/,
so that All/foo-1.2.3.tbz resolves to the foo 1.2.3 package. Then also
maintain the various categories links like devel/foo.tbz and as human use
pkg_add like so:
pkg_add -r devel/foo

This will do the right thing(tm) and you don't have to look up/remember the
version numbers as a bonus.
--
Mel