Date:      Wed, 16 Jun 1999 17:56:28 +0930 (CST)
From:      Gregory Lewis <glewis@dartagnan.maths.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        scott@wannabe.guru.org (Scott Gasch)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sharity light

> In order to mount a SMB (NT/9x) file share on your FreeBSD box you need
> rumba (more recently known as Sharity Light).
>
> However, when I recently tried to use this I ran into difficulties that
> were ascribed to the fact that my NT PDC is >NT4SP3.  The problem is, I
> take it, that NT at this stage uses password encryption (not a bad
> idea).  One solution was to hack the registry to turn off the
> encryption.
>
> However, it seems to me that there ought to be a better way.  The
> smbclient code seems to work just fine but it does not let you mount the
> filesystem.  I don't particularly want to fork over $100 for a
> commercial version of sharity.  Does anyone else have another solution
> here (besides writing something new based on smbclient)?
>
> Please CC me directly on replies and thanks for your time.

Sharity is currently offering limited licenses for beta testing of
Sharity-2.0.  You might find the license for the testing is workable for
you.

IMO, it shouldn't be too hard to hack encryption into Sharity-Light using
the Samba code as a reference.

--
Greg Lewis 				glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Computing Officer			+61 8 8303 3237