Date:      Thu, 27 Feb 2003 22:57:51 +0100
From:      hans@lambermont.dyndns.org (Hans Lambermont)
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading ports and such

Kirk Strauser wrote:

> At 2003-02-27T16:34:39Z, "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net> writes:
> >   MAKE_ARGS = {
> >      'www/galeon2' => '-DWITH_FULL_MOZILLA',
> >      'x11-fm/nautilus2' => '-DWITH_FULL_MOZILLA',
> >      'x11-servers/XFree86-4-Server' => '-DWITH_MATROX_GXX_DRIVER',
> >      'multimedia/mplayer' => '-DWITHOUT_RUNTIME_CPUDETECTION',
> >   }
>
> I just have to add here that this is one of my favorite features of any
> OS'es package manager.  It is *so* nice to throw system-dependent options in
> there and forget about them.  I don't know how many times I was bitten by
> forgetting to define `WITH_SSL_AND_PLAINTEXT' when building cclient and
> imap-uw before I found this feature.

Agreed, but for some ports it gets more difficult. I'd like to stop and
start services by portupgrade. For instance MySQL server upgrades, I
didn't try these yet, but what about :

    BEFOREBUILD = {
        'databases/mysql*-server' => '/usr/local/bin/mysqldump --all-databases > /var/spool/all_databases.sql',
        'databases/mysql*' => '/usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server.sh stop',
    }

    MAKE_ARGS = {
        'databases/mysql*-server' => 'SKIP_INSTALL_DB=yes',
    }

    AFTERINSTALL = {
        'databases/mysql*' => '/usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server.sh start',
    }

Also, what would be the ideal backout method ? How do you keep around
the package that portupgrade makes during an upgrade ?

Btw, I'd like to see your modified pkgtools.conf files. Is there a place
where these are discussed already ? (because it's a bit off-topic ;-)

Hans Lambermont
--
http://lambermont.webhop.org/   () ascii ribbon campaign - against HTML mail,
                                /\ vCards and proprietary formats