Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 2002 01:02:46 -0500
From:      Nathan Mace <nmace85@yahoo.com>
To:        Alex Rodioukov <simuran@shaw.ca>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS problems

> You do have NFS relevant options enabled in kernel, don't you? :)

i put "options NFS" in them.

> Assuming that you want to have rw access to the NFS share and that
> you're exporting the $HOME of user 'nathan' and 'nathan' is the owner
> of the files, I would check the following:
>
> On server:
>   nfs_server_enable="YES"
>   nfs_reserved_port_only="YES"
> are set in /etc/rc.conf

i checked this.  the server have "reserved_port" commented out, i uncommented
it and rebooted

> 2. You can see portmap, mountd, nfsd and rpc.statd processes running.

all processes are running on the server

> 3. You might want to play with -maproot and -mapall in /etc/exports. I
> guess in your case it might be useful to set -maproot=nathan

i tried the -maproot=nathan for the /usr/home share, didn't help

> On client:
>   nfs_reserved_port_only="YES"
>   nfs_client_enable="YES"
> are set /etc/rc.conf

these are all set, so i didn't bother rebooting since nothing changed

> 2. You can see nfsiod process running.

yes it is running

it boggles my mind that it would work just fine for everything except
/usr/home.  accessing the home directory was the main reason for doing this!
that and learning some stuff about NFS, which i seem to be.  thanks for the
help so far, but does anyone have any ideas about what to do?  thanks again

nathan